Monday 20 January 2020

Battletech (6mm)

I own a small collection of plastic Battletech miniatures from the Alpha Strike lance sets that Catalyst produced a few years ago. I didn't have any rules for them but was on the lookout for the OOP Alpha Strike & Compendium.

Then, last year sometime, the new box sets were released and I saw the Beginner set at a local shop. I got it, of course, and secretly hoped that Battletech was as fun as I remembered.

I finally managed to get a game in yesterday, with my partner Laura.





It was the quick-start rules, using the cut-down mech sheets (no heat, no internals, no minimum ranges, etc.).

I piloted the Wolverine (green) and Laura piloted the Griffin (red).

It was a fairly simple game. We stomped around in some woods for cover, and I tried to get into her blind spot and shoot her at point-blank, but she used her jumpjets to get some distance on me and proceeded to annihilate me with her PPC.

The rules were simple and easy to pick up, and marking off damage and seeing limbs fall off was just as fun as I remember.

Altogether I'd say it's a good little game, and the starter box comes with a lot more variety than you'd think as it has cardboard cutout standees and stats for a number of other mech types, so you can even do full 4-mech lances against one another (just without the nice miniatures for 3 of them).

I'm looking forward to trying out some of my other mechs next game, but I'll stick with the quick-start rules until we've got them memorised.


Some of the mechs I've painted so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment