Thursday 7 November 2019

Frostgrave - Swords & Normalcy edition




Next week I'm heading back to my old wargame club - The Prince Bishop Wargames Club. Most of the people there are into historical wargames but I liked to bring along weird fantasy and sci-fi games.

I haven't been to the club in over a year (my partner and I got jobs in Leeds and had to move from the North East), but thought it'd be nice to keep with tradition and bring along some weird fantasy skirmish game to play with them.

In the spirit of compromise I've made some customised rules in order to do away with the whole wizards & magic side of it, and the warbands are instead being commanded by a mounted lord, with the apprentice replaced by a captain.



The Lords have 3 special abilities each, as well as good statistics and high movement speed afforded by their mounts. The special abilities are once per game, but should give them an edge akin to wizardly magic (hopefully). In addition to this, their steeds will take damage first, and upon death the Lord will be replaced with a dismounted version.

The captains are essentially the same as the Sellsword Captain from the official Frostgrave supplement, and have better stats than a regular soldier, as well as 2 special abilities (slightly less powerful than the Lord abilities).

These custom leaders should hopefully provide a gameplay dynamic similar to that provided by traditional Frostgrave, but also appear to be more grounded in reality.

I wouldn't want it to be TOO realistic though (where's the fun in that?), so I'm including some fantasy warbands, but using the same rules.

Lord Roderick's Party

- Lord Roderick
- Captain Dimi of Legacæstir
- 2x Crossbowmen
- 5x Infantry with hand-weapons & shields



Blue knight painted by my friend Rick and gifted to me recently. Unpainted Captain is a Fireforge Teutonic Infantry knight. The rest are Fireforge Foot Sergeants painted by myself.

Lady Petra's Party

- Lady Petra of Karakh
- Captain Hans Capon
- 2x Archers
- 4x Men-at-Arms with spear & shield




Red knight painted by my friend Rick and gifted to me recently. The rest are Warhammer Fantasy Bretonnians painted by myself (some painted a very long time ago!).

Lord Grizzlesnot's Party

- Lord Grizzlesnot, rider of wolves
- Captain Greb
- 4x Night goblin archers
- 4x Night goblin spearmen




All Warhammer Fantasy miniatures, painted by myself (except the wolf-rider, who I got off eBay).

***

The 4th and final warband hasn't been decided yet, but I'm thinking it'll be another fantasy race, possibly Elves, Dwarves or Undead.

There's a little more work to be done on the miniatures before the game. The edge of some bases are a little messy and need cleaned up, and I need to flock the Bretonnian spearmen (and probably reflock the archers too!). I need to paint Captain Dimi as well, but unsure on what colours to paint him in yet.

1 comment: