Wednesday 27 November 2019

Fortified Positions


I've been doing a bit of painting recently with no specific goal in mind. I have lots of little scenery bits that've been sitting around half-finished for a while, so I've been working on odds & ends that need completed.

My friend Rick got a large eBay lot and gave me some fortified positions. They're a little small to be used for 40k/Infinity/Star Wars, but work perfectly with my Battlefield Evolution lot (which are more 25mm scale than 28mm-32mm).





I should be receiving a set of Pedion modular terrain soon, some of which is temperate grasslands and some is desert terrain, so I painted the fortified positions up with the intention to use them in either. With this in mind I went for a stony, muddy look, as if the earth's been dug out. I might put some grassy tufts dotted about on them, but I'm not very good at making convincing grass-cover/foliage, so I'm a bit wary about ruining them.


I also got a couple of industrial scenery kits from Ainsty Castings at a wargames show in Leeds recently. I've been eyeing up the Ainsty kits for a while now - I like resin scenery, it feels nice and solid, plus the Ainsty stuff in particular reminds me of terrain I used to see a lot from the 90s and I like that aesthetic.


I started painting up the Observation Post kit, but only got as far as the undercoat. I used my airbrush and my new Vallejo Air Black paint. I've got the Citadel Air Black as well, and the Vallejo one is a lot smoother and easier to use. I do generally prefer Citadel paints, but not for airbrushing it seems.



My plan is to drybrush a light grey on the main structure of the building, and a dark grey on the window-ports. I'll use a metal (probably leadbelcher) on any floorplates I find.

I think I can probably achieve a decent look with just drybrushing, so it should be fairly quick from here.



I had some paint left in the airbrush, so gave some 6mm scale civilian vehicles an undercoat as well - these will be used for Battletech.

No comments:

Post a Comment